Back in 2013, when we organized Product Management Festival in Zurich, we were delighted and proud to have had Marty Cagan as our first keynote speaker ever – and he even ran a tutorial prior to the conference!
For those who are new to Product Management and do not know who he is and how influential his work is to our community, Marty is:
- Partner at the Silicon Valley Product Group
- Author of “Inspired: How To Create Products Customers Love“
- Often referred to as the “most influential person in the product space”
Let’s put it in the words of his customers!
Well, that’s an easy one, just look at Amazon. To be more efficient, here are some of the book reviews:
- “This is the book is the best one I have found for people wanting to know what it really takes — the steps in building a new technology product.”
- “Mandatory reading for anyone in software product development. Product Designers, UX designers, Product Owners, Scrum Masters and Agile coaches will find insight from section 1 to the closing chapter. Founders and CEOs will find this book to be essential reading, especially for start-ups where the CEO is the product manager and will need to build out a team.”
- “Marty Cagan says his book is limited to the IT industry but he underestimates it: I found most of the principles laid out to apply to my industry (chemicals). What I like the most is the accent he puts on the importance of customer experience with the product.”
Read more from Marty at https://svpg.com/articles/
Marty’s consulting work
A quote we received in a MIPMP vote:
“I was granted to work with Marty, even if it was a very short time. I really enjoyed reading his book, his blog and his talks. Each of those inspire me in my daily work to be more efficient and productive.”
We even received an email from one of his former clients, in which we were congratulated for having Marty over. The message states:
“When Marty conducted his first workshop at XING, I was on vacation. When I came back, I realized that a fundamental change had occurred. All of a sudden, User Experince was considered an important factor (even on Management level), everyone was talking about Product Discovery and the fact that product ideas need to be challenged and discussed with potential users as early as possible, etc.
All in all, Marty had a very positive impact on the mindset of the company as a whole, on how product development should be managed and most importantly, on what really is important when doing so.
Marty convinced us not only with his sheer experience, but also with the simple and clear ways of communicating his approaches.”
So now you know more!
For the ones who haven’t known Marty yet, we hope you have received a good impression of what he is doing and how important his work for the technology world is.
About Marty Cagan
Marty Cagan is a Silicon Valley-based product executive with more than 20 years of experience with industry leaders including eBay, AOL, Netscape Communications and Hewlett-Packard. Marty is the author of the book “Inspired: How to Create Products Customers Love” which presents techniques for creating winning products. Before founding the Silicon Valley Product Group to pursue his interests in helping others create successful products through his writing, speaking, and advising, Martin was the original leader of Product and Design for eBay, where he was responsible for defining products and services for the company’s global e-commerce trading site. Marty now works with technology companies from across the globe on improving both innovation and velocity.